Thursday, March 22, 2012

The fun of Sponsorship!

Over the past few days it has occurred to me just how much it means to these kids when they get a sponsor!

Speaking from my own experience, last year I began sponsoring one of the children at Vision of Destiny who's name is Yosam. He was one of the first kids I met when I arrived in Uganda, and there are so many reasons I love this funny, rambunctious, and outgoing kid! While he is great at causing his fair share of trouble, he really is more joy than anything else.

Some of those who sponsor our children occasionaly come here to Uganda to visit them. Others send their children gifts. Others send photos of their family (which the kids LOVE!) or gifts for the child.

For me personally, being both a sponsor AND a teacher has been a great challenge! I will be in the middle of teaching a bible lesson in Yosam's class and hear "Aunt Courtney. You are my sponsor." Yes, that is correct, I tell him. I have explained to Yosam's class many times "yes, I am Yosam's sponsor, but there are many other sponsors out there who make it possible for you to go to school!" I begin naming off other sponsors who have children in that class. One day as we were wrapping up class the children and I prayed for all of our sponsors who make it possible for these kids to go to school! While my struggle in the classroom is valuing Yosam as my sponsored child and making sure I discipline him just like every other child, it occurred to me one day as he was reminding me that I am his sponsor... To these children,

Having a sponsor... means that there is somebody on the other side of the world who is praying for me. It means someone out there cares enough to value sending me to school, allowing me access to uniforms and school supplies. It means that there is someone out there who wants me to hear about the Good News of Jesus! It really does mean more to these kids that they have a sponsor than people realize!

To see the list of current children who are awaiting sponsorship, please visit:
http://vodafrica.org/waitingchildren.html

In Christ,
Courtney Wrinkle
Vision of Destiny Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment